Auto Dimming Mirror

Jim,

Chances are it's very similar to what was used in my former '93 Jeep Grand
Wagoneer (which was basically a Grand Cherokee with every option plus
woodgrain... not the model that began in 1963 under Kaiser Corp and ended in
1991 two owners later as a Chrysler-owned product).

Anyway, as to your Imperial... If the mirror has a 3-pin connector on the
back, the pins are connected as follows, with #1 being closest to the
driver's side of the car:

Pin 1: 12V with ignition on.
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: 12V with gearshift in reverse (actually connects to backup lamp
circuit)

Pin 3 is there so that the auto-dimming function cancels when you are
backing up, to allow full rearward vision.

If the car did not originally have the harness, you'll have to fabricate a
connector (mine had been cut off when I purchased the car used and I was
able to find something close enough at Radio Shack) and a wiring harness. I
used small-gauge 3-element ribbon cable since the current loads are rather
low.

The rest is internal to the mirror... it's just a matter of hooking it up.

Hope this helps,
Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon