2003 Imperial 'Eagle' by Virgil Exner, Jr.

2003 Imperial 'Eagle' by Virgil Exner, Jr.

I see a lot of styling cues from other non-Mopar vehicles.  That's not to
say that they don't work for me, but the one I really don't like is the
mid-roof band, for lack of a better word.  Perhaps it harkens back to the
"Easter Basket" '55 Ford Crown Victoria (which isn't bad itself), or to the
'59 Imperial with the thin chrome band over the roof.  Unfortunately, for
me it reminds me of the opera lamp-overkilled '77-'79 Ford Thunderbird,
which also had the little window just like Mr. Exner's rendering.  That I
don't care for at all.

I also see the '69-'70 Buick Electra in the sweep spear side, which I do
very much like; the '63 Corvette in the split rear window and the fender
louvers, which I like less; and the three round tail lights in each side of
the bumper - very ImpALA-esque (no thanks).  The crisp outline of the front
fender reminds me of a Lincoln Sentinel show car I saw 3 years ago in
Detroit.  The '55-'56 and '60 Imperial flavorings are obvious.  I do give
credit to Mr. Exner that it is a unique-looking car, not the oh-so boring
bubble efforts we see so much of these days.

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown 4-door Southampton
1972 Buick Electra
1983 Chrysler Cordoba