"Black Plate"

Here in WA, and across the river in OR, one can register a plate to an older car if it is "year of manufacture."  I have two sets of YOM plates and tabs, one on the '55 and one on the '66.  Neither are the original plates.

It seems a little odd to me, because, ie, eg, or whatever, a 1966 car would have originally been sold with '67 tabs, but now you use the correct '66 YOM plates and tabs that the car couldn't have come with.

In both states, for many years you could keep the original plates and just buy tabs.  In OR, the renewable tabs started in 1955 with '56 tabs and many "blue plates" with a number, letter, and four numbers were around for years.  In '64 OR went to three letters, three numbers blue plates.

However both states now require reflectorized plates for regular use, and WA requires the plates be replaced every 7 years.

--Roger van Hoy, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '42 DeSoto, '66 Plymouth, '81 Imperial, Washougal, WA