Carlisle cars

--- Raymond Shaw <dienasty233@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would also take it easy on the trans, even Limp
> home mode wont keep it
> safe forever, best be getting a cheap beater car or
> a used transmission
> until you can afford to have this one rebuilt.  Once
> it is toast the only
> way to get it home is by flatbead, and that aint no
> fun.

        Which is way I don't want to go too far with the car
until it is fixed. Becomes real unfun, real fast if I
have to flatbed the car back to my house from central
PA. That would be a bit expensive to do...

> Also I looked it up in my Imperial Sales brochure
> and I do have limited slip
> axle, it sounds damn near hard to believe, I owned
> two Dodge Dynasty's
> before this and I never really could tell if they
> were limited slip or not,
> well my 89 wasn't for sure.  Both my tires do spin
> on the Imperial.

        I was thinking about that too. You see, they made a
limited slip for the 3.0 tranny's, and the 3.0 did use
the A604 (same as ours but with a different bell
housing). So it would make sense that it would be
possible to stick a limited slip in there. Makes me
wonder if this was only done on certain 90's Imperials
or all of them, or even if it were done on any of the
upper priced Chrysler Imperial clones (5th Ave/NYer).
I know that IF I ever find an Imperial in a local
yard, I'd be stealing the whole front suspension and
body. Be pretty cool to add a limited slip to the
Dynasty.

> I like to
> say there are a crap load
> of turbo motors in junkyards for a reason, I don't
> want my 3.3 to join them
> prematurely.

        hehe, there are a ton of n/a engines in there too!
The biggest problem with the turbo 4-clynder Mopars of
this era are head gaskets going. Some people will see
their 10+ year old turbo 4 clyinder with a blown head
gasket, and say, to hell with it, not worth the money,
and junk it.
        Same can be said for fixing the oil leaks in 3.0's,
or the trannies in our AC/AY's. 'course 3.3's are a
dime a dozen, very easy to find. So if yours does go,
it would be easier to replace (and cheaper), then one
of the older hemis and such of the other Imperials
which are in higher demand (and lower supply- if you
exclude crate engines). I haven't seen a crate 3.3,
but I have seen a crate 3.5 for just under $3k.

> I found one with a fake convertable roof, and
> it looks to be an LE
> model of the 88-89 year, it's a red wine paint color
> with the red cloth
> looking roof.

        If the body is solid, go for it! I'd bet it would
have the 3.0 in there, but, those aren't common and
have as good (or better) resale value then good shape
90's Imperials. I saw one on eBay go for over $5k,
while by compairson, the most expensive 90's Imperial
I've seen on eBay went for some $4k.
        Besides, what could be a better pair of cars then a
90's Imperial in the same driveway as the fake ragtop
Dynasty?

        I've got one of those grills, but the chrome (which,
believe it or not, is a layer of cheap shinny
plastic!) is coming off and is all wrinkled. So I've
got to strip all the plastic-chrome off, get some body
filler to bring it back up to the right size, then
paint it. I'm thinking of getting a metallic gold or brass.