Return to Utopia

Think of it this way- the car will need so much more
not because of small progression thus far, but the
fact that these car's are never truely finished (and I
mean that in a good way).

To me, it's nice to have one all restored, perfect-
but that lack of tinkering loses something. It was
once said that the american auto enthusists would have
never happend had the model T not been designed so
poorly that it required constant tinkering and a
non-stop personal relationship. 'course these cars are
far better (in every way) then a model T- but I look
at the required contact under the hood every so often
as a reminder of just how well these cars were made.
To stop and think, wait a minute, I'm rebuilding this
engine- and it's been sooo many years since these
parts have been touched by human hands- and when did
this past contact occur? In the assembly line when it
was put together no doubt.

With very few exceptions, my family goes throw many
classic cars. Bought, restored, sold, repeat, because
many share this idealogy of mine. Looking back, I
remeber my dad went through 40-60 Mopars in 3 decades
alone. All were almost destroyed from rusting in
farmers fields or junk yards. All ended up in the
hands of caring people who still use them.

But the few that have stayed in the family for
enjoyment have a certain felling/relationship to them.
The tinkering, although sometimes expensive, really
brings it to a new level.

But maybe I see things so differently because I have
always been more of an engineer then a mechanic at
heart?