IML Paint question

I have a black pearl Nissan, which got a tiny ding in the strip that runs below the tail lights. I have filled it in, sanded it as smooth as I could possibly get it, and repainted it, only to find the area where the small ding was, now looked like a larger slight depression. I have gone through this process on that same area about four times now, and still do not have satisfactory results. My light yellow Imperial on the other hand is a breeze to fill in tiny nicks in the paint, and the work is completely invisible except for the slightly darker new paint that I'm using on a very faded old paint job.
Bill '59 Crown