Imperial SUV?

>As for an Imperial SUV, eek (IMHO)! I'd rather let the name rest in peace. I
>love my luxurious Chrysler SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I find the new

As automotive enthusiasts, we all have our strong opinions about
cars.  Remember, that's all they are, opinions.  And since we (the
automotive enthusiasts) are the minority of the market (ie most people that
buy cars don't really like cars like we do), the decision makers of the
industry ignore them.

Having said the above, IMHO the SUV is the worst thing that happened to the
US auto industry (not in terms of profit, they are doing very well, in
terms of quality -a somewhat relative term-).  A British car magazine that
had an article about the US auto industry had a photo of a large SUV and
the caption below said: "Vehicle for the self absorbed".  Using the
glorious name "Imperial" to a 4x4 extra tall, oversized and overweight
contraption that can't get out of its own way, with seriously compromised
suspension to sort of go off road even though it will never be driven off
road, would be ....  you get the idea!  Imperials were above the rest in
terms of performance and road manners/handling/high speed stability, which
seems completely contrary with the above idea.

Anyway, according to that article in the British magazine, due to the
ridiculous profit margins of the SUV's the US auto industry (and especially
GM) are falling behind the competition in cars.  So, if something happens
and a sudden demise of the SUV occurs (say due to a new oil crisis), the US
auto industry will be in serious trouble.  And given how immoral I think
they have been the past 10-15 years, I will not feel bad at all if Ford and
GM go bankrupt!
D^2
D^2