Modern Chryslers and Imperials

Doug (Crown58imp@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> DaimlerChrysler has noticed that the PT Cruiser is underpowered. Their answer
> is the up-and-coming GT Cruiser which will be powered by the same LHS V6 that
> powers the Prowler and the 300M...

Um, not quite. The 215-hp "GT Cruiser" is available today (went on sale in
December) and has a turbocharged version of the same 2.4L 4-cylinder as the
adequately powered standard version. Officially its name is PT Cruiser
Turbo, sometimes PT Turbo, but it wears GT badges despite it having no part
of its official name or trim level. There is no room for a V6 under the
narrow hood of a PT, and the Neon-derived platform has no V6 in the family.

Remember, the PT was designed to be a low-cost/high-style/high-function
vehicle, and it totally succeeds, enough to become the Chrysler Group's
best-selling car in 2002 (even though the EPA calls it a truck).

As for an Imperial SUV, eek (IMHO)! I'd rather let the name rest in peace. I
love my luxurious Chrysler SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I find the new
Pacifica SUV-ish wagon interesting, but the very name Imperial just doesn't
make sense on an SUV. Maybe DC's push to make Chrysler a true premium brand
(the Pacifica starts at $31,000+) will catch on and allow for a true
Imperial to return.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon