Headliner cloth replacement

Hi all,

I am just catching up on a bunch of old "digest" posts and saw the thread
by Neil about taking the headliner out of an 80's Imp.

He's right!! Patience and care.  There are a LOT of items that need to be
removed before you can get the liner out.

The old cloth is foam backed and the foam disintegrates, allowing the
cloth to drop.  There is also a plastic liner on the Fiberglas shell.  I
was told to remove this if it is starting to come off.

AN ABSOLUTE MUST is to use a high quality adhesive.  I ordered the stuff
from J. C. Whitney that they sell, and forget it.  I had quite a few
choice words for that &*$%#@^ when the cloth dropped down again after
about a month of hot July weather.

The stuff I ended up using was "3M 90 High Strength" adhesive.  Don't use
the 3M 77 stuff as it says right on the can (in small letters) "Not for
automotive headliner use"

Also, I agree, use cloth that is about the same thickness.  I bought new
cloth, used the 3M 90 and it is still up (with a couple of small
wrinkles) after about 5 years or so.

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx