How does a shock absorber work?

As you say certain gas shocks can change the ride height. Such as "air
shocks" where the air pressure in the shock can be regulated to control ride
height and action. Used by hot rodders a lot. Aircraft landing gear are in
fact big air shocks with a mineral oil acting as the dampner and the
nitrogen charge acting as the spring. And you adjust the height of the
"spring" by putting the nitrogen precharge at a certain pressure(depends on
the weight of the aircraft at the time of charging) or put a standard
pressure on it with the aircraft on jacks. Sorry for the ramble but I
couldn't help it.

R. Giesbrecht
1972 Imperial

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup