People Unsubscribing/ Suggestions...

Hi All:

While I too am personally taken aback at the sheer
volume of IML email, it's far more important to me to
see the equally voluminous and swift response to
hobbyists needing advice or assistance with their rare
vehicles - For me, this outweighs by far
the 'inconvenience' of the email volume...

That said, here's some things I think we ALL can do to
make sure that things go smoothly and feather's don't
get ruffled:

- "SUBJECT" LINE - Always take the time to 'title' the
email you're writing - all the time, every time.
Don't just say "IML: Question"...  What's it about!?
Try: "IML: '60 Auto-Pilot Question".  This way,
anybody who ain't interested will know they can just
delete it...  It's a small thing that goes a long way!

- LET THREADS DIE - Take the recent thread about "Open
Me Pleeeze".  Ok, it was off topic - stuff happens.
But it was only ONE email....  Then came what I
consider to be the greater offense: TWENTY-PLUS
INDIVIDUAL EMAILS about the thread, which kept it
spinning...  If we see that one or two people have
already responded appropriately, leave it lay.

- "DELETE" - this cycle's right back to my first
commment.  If indeed the subject line is clear, and
you KNOW that you don't REALLY need the info
about "'60 Le Baron Hubcaps", just delete it!!!  You
won't miss anything, and if you happen to someday need
that info, you can always search the archive. Typing
an email asking people to stop a thread uses hundreds
of keys - Delete only uses ONE.

I don't think that folks intentionally 'jam the
system'.  Part of the problem may be members applying
the ettiquite of 'traditional' correspondence in what
is a 'virtual' (computer) environment.  You receive a
letter in the mail - you respond to it!  Your boss
sends you an email - you read it.  But here, on the
net, it is NOT necessary that each and every email
MUST be responded to, or even read at all!  You won't
be considered 'impolite', or a 'bad member', if you
elect to skip entirely a thread that does not interest
or apply to you.

I look upon the emails in this club like a 'dim-sum'
cart rolling through a Chinese restaurant.  You should
pick out what YOU want to eat, and then send the cart
on it's way...

But we need to be responsible in our responses, too.
As the dim sum cart moves along, you wouldn't yell
across the dining hall at another table to say, 'you
really shouldn't eat that!' or, 'I don't care for
squid personally, so I don't want you to have any!' -
would you!?  Well, that's essentially what we do when
we broadcast the catty little side comments/responses
to the entire group - it's the virtual version of
yelling across the dining hall.

Anyway, just some food for thought...

Jim Byers
'60 Le Baron Southampton