Fuel Pump Problem?

Here's the situation: My '53 Imperial, largely original with under 70K
miles, sat in my garage from 1990 through 2002, run only twice, on
consecutive days in '97, after a lot of work on my part. I recently had some
work done on it by a master Chrysler restorer, including getting the motor
running again. And it ran, after about a half hour of roughness at the shop,
smoothly and quietly. The carb is newly rebuilt, by the way.

But here's the problem: Driving it home in September in low 90 degree
weather, it "vapor locked" after about 10 miles of driving, and 6 more times
until I got it home, which was about a 20 mile trip. Each time, I would pull
it off the road, let it sit for about 5 minutes, and it would easily start
again, no sweat. Then, about 1.5 miles lately, just like clockwork, it would
do it again. And over and over. I'd step on the gas, it would stumble, and
then...nothing. This was scary, being in metro Detroit traffic. I even
bought 2 pounds of ice at one stop, and packed it around the fuel pump, but
I can't say that it helped. The power steering goes too, of course...This
beat a workout at the gym, since I am more of the distance runner build (20
marathons) than weightlifter!

I was lucky to get it back home.

A couple of weeks later, with the temps in the 70s, I drove it again. It
went about 10 miles or so, maybe a bit longer, and it stopped again. This
time I was pretty close to home, so I got it back OK. Started readily after
the usual 5 minute wait.

A third time, it was in the 50s or something. I only drove it less than 10
miles, and no stalls.

Is this definitely a fuel pump problem? If yes, is a rebuilt one to be
avoided compared to a new one. Should I just punt and put in an electric
one?

Any opinions, advice, will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Currell

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf