re:81 no oil pressure

  Merc1Doc-
     Dick is right about dropping the pan,etc.But I would like to add another reason for no pressure. Your Imperial uses the 318 -the distributor gear in this and other Chrysler V-8s are driven off the camshaft-the distributor's shaft fits in a slot on the top,and  a hex shaft going to the oil pump on the bottom.Although rare in a relatively low-stress application such as this,the hex shaft has been known to strip ,or more commonly , break off at the pump.My guess is,some form of  debris might have found it's way between the inner & outer rotors of the pump(not much clearance in there),then when you started up the engine,this particle jammed the rotors,and the shaft twisted off.Freak thing,but possible.In addition to checking the things Dick told you,pull the distributor(mark it's position first!)then,noting it's position as well,pull out the distributor gear.If there's no hex on the end,thats your problem.If you don't check that gear,AND your oil pump,you won't cure your problem.My suggestion;whil e you have the oilpan off anyway,which is necessary to get to the pump-located on  rear main bearing cap-take the oil pump off,DISASSEMBLE it ,and CHECK it for debris,wear,burrs on the rotors, and clearances between inner & outer rotors.Checking these things will ensure everything working right upon re-assembly.