What's old is new again!

I'm sure most of the list has heard the expression, "What's old is new
again".  Things have to "go out of style for a while" and then lo and
behold, they're suddenly sought after for many reasons.  It' isn't just
automobiles either.  It never ceases to amaze me how popular "mid century"
(1950's) "stuff" is becoming and also how pricey.  Go to a local antique
mall or collectibles show one weekend and see for yourselves.  Ceramics,
kitchen items, black americana items all going for unheard of prices and
getting harder and harder to find so say the dealers.  I live in an
architect designed house built in 1950 and it has so much more character
(not to mention solidly built by a noted contracting company of the day.  I
cannot imagine living anywhere else.  There is something special about
owning something from another era.  It has a history, a story to tell so to
speak  We all yearn for the good old days and those days are different for
each of us.  I love owning autos from the sixties because I was a child
growing up during those years and seeing and driving a vehicle from my
childhood brings back many fond memories.

As for the finned styling, like any other fad or trend, it had to come to an
end sometime.  But look at all the interesting vehicles and fin shapes that
came from that era.  Yes, by the mid sixties the finned cars were pretty
worthless.  Can you imagine being seen in a 1959 Cadillac (with those
outrageous fins) in 1965?  And yet the 1959 Eldorado Biarritz (convertible)
can command 60K or more in pristine condition.  Go figure!  You really would
have had a difficult time convincing someone who owned one of these to "hang
on to it" because the value would quadruple or quintuple in 40 years!  The
finned cars do look like something from another time more than the cars that
came only 5 years or so later.  Those fins are special and drive the value
up wheras they drove the value down only a few short years after they were
new.  Again, go figure!

So moral of story:  Hang on to those leisure suits and disco shirts guys,
and don't throw away that lava lamp either!  The '70's will be the next boom
for collectors.  What's old is new again!

Greg McDonnell
1965 (finless) Crown convert. (maybe the next one I buy will have fins!)