Carburetor almost there

If the idle isn't smooth in drive, you either have an engine problem or a vacuum leak, if you have gone all the way through the idle speed and mixture adjustments.  If you aren't sure that you did this all right, start over with the idle speed and mixture adjustments by GENTLY bottoming the idle mixture screws, then backing them both out exactly 1 1/2 turns, then start from there to adjust the idle mixture as per the previous note, repeated here:

>>You will probably have satisfactory operation right off, but you can improve
your idle smoothness a little by adjusting the two idle mixture screws, 1/4
of a turn at a time, after the engine is thoroughly warmed up and is idling
at a normal curb idle speed.  Back each screw out until you just begin to
notice the idle speed dropping off (you can hear the very slight change in
tone from the engine), then run it back in about 1/4 to 1/2 half turn,
searching for the fastest smooth idle.  Repeat with the other side's screw,
then double check each of them.  Now you should have a very smooth idle, and
you may be able to adjust the idle speed screw now to save yourself some gas
and still have a good idle.<<

Since your secondaries are not opening up, you need to
make sure your secondary lockout hardware is functioning properly, by
watching the secondary side butterfly shaft.  It should not open at full
throttle unless you hold the choke all the way open, but it should open then
at full throttle.  If it doesn't, one or more of the mechanical adjustments
on the linkage isn't made right.  Review your kit instruction and recheck
everything.  You don't have to take the carburetor off the car to do that.
Also, of course, make sure that when you mash "the pedal to the metal" that
the carburetor primary side is opening all the way - you could have a
mis-adjustment of the carburetor throttle linkage - this is not covered in
your instruction sheet, but is pretty obvious.  Full throttle should pull
the carburetor all the way open.   If this isn't right, you are also
possibly having a problem with your transmission kickdown, and if this is
the case, please study the diagram in the FSM which tells you how to set
both of these things.

If opening the throttle all the way pulled the choke butterfly toward the closed position, something isn't put together right, as opening the throttle all the way should open the choke partially, not close it. This is the "unloader" provision.   Look at the linkage instructions again, you probably have the tang on the choke shaft on the driver's side pointing the wrong way, and the rod down to the fast idle stop on the wrong side of the choke shaft.

Dick Benjamin