IML-46 Crown Imperial LIMO - ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

IML-46 Crown Imperial LIMO - ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

What a great weekend!

Our host, DON TACCONE, invited several Imperialist to Birmingham, Alabama over the weekend to a car show and to work on an Imperial.

KERRY PINKERTON from Huntsville, ROBERT SOULE from Chattanooga, JEFF CARROTHERS from Jackson, MS and MARK HARRIS from New Orleans came by to participate in all the fun. I was there but spent most of the time staying out of their way.

The project was a 1946 Crown Imperial Limo that belonged to my parents.  When my father died my mother told me to "get that thing out of here" and handed me the title.  It had been parked since 1953 when "she just got tired of driving it."  With a 145" wheelbase, 5500 pounds of mass and the driving dictates that you plan a half a block away before you turn I could understand why!

Don had gotten the car started but due to the lack of a fuel tank (STILL LOOKING FOR A TANK) and no brakes it was difficult to begin the project. Don, man of action, enlisted the help of Robert, Jeff, Kerry and Mark and the project is off to a flying start.  I know it is killing you and you want to know what we did about the fuel tank well..... it was a one gallon plastic tank that we put into the trunk and fed the take-up tube the hole in the trunk.  I believe we determined that the car gets about six trips around the block before a refill.  Fun!

Saturday everyone arrived after the car show (mostly street rods) at Dons station to begin work.  I just stayed out of the way as everyone knew what they were doing and I would have been it the way.  I did OK as gopher and made a flying trip to NAPA before they closed for a new Master cylinder kit.  All the books, including the original manual, state one size but when we opened it up .Yep .. different.

This is typical in working on cars and sometime can be the fun.  Trying to outguess what really is. We also found a similar situation with the brakes the next day.  This begs the questions of why two days to put on one set of brakes.

Saturday was spent replacing the axle seal, starting the brakes, replacing all the lines and getting the car running.  We had the limo up on four stands and each part of the car was accessible.  Many things going on at once.  Robert is a rolling MOPAR parts house and had the old parts that were required. Thanks.  Don had ordered in all the parts but Robert is the MASTER tube bender and flange maker. One of the local people dropped by to look and the next thing you know we had him in the act getting tools from home and additional parts from Auto Zone.

The time got away from us and the need for the last minute parts necessitated that we return the next day. Debbie and Bill had remained at Dons to prepare the feast for everyone that evening so that meant we had to stop.  In the meantime Jeff was "driving" the car.  This is a Fluid drive transmission and Jeff remarked it was also the smoothest "Fluid" ride he had ever had in a car.  I guess the stands helped.

Unfortunately, Kerry had to return home that evening and was not there for the real fun on Sunday.

The brakes just did not seem right.  Something about the wheel and hubs not going back on over the brake shoes.  Then Don discovered why the rebuild kits had new plungers to go from the brake shoe to the wheel cylinder.  The originals were too long.  Here again a little note from the manufacturer would have saved us time.

From the looks on everyone's face the fun was beginning to decline. We started to "pump" the brakes and blew a line on the frame.  Another poor unsuspecting car nut was there and he was off to Auto Zone for a new line.  Get the flare tool back and let Robert perform his magic!  Early that morning the engine had received some attention and it was beginning to run better.

Now, pump the brakes   -  no new line broken  - re-install the wheels (HEAVY) and lets see if it will roll, AND STOP.

Don Taccone, The BRAVEHEART, took off down the street.  It moves. We hear him.  He reappears.  Yea, one loop around the block.  Try one more.  Didn't make it as something clogged the fuel line.  Get clear, big cloud of smoke and off we go again.  Now the smiles appear.  Everyone started to drive around the block. Once, twice, thrice-Robert now holds the record.  Then someone said Frank you drive.  I had never driven this car as it was parked before I was old enough to drive!

I drove it around the block. Made it.  We get brave.  Someone rides in the back seat next time.  Then we really get brave. Lets go up the street.  Get the cell phone just in case. Lets go.  Don says no stop.  Fuel may be low.  Stop the car.  Fill tank. One gallon lets go.  It took about a half mile trip and made it back.  The longest trip since 1 9 5 3.  What a trip!!

Well, we continue to drive, smoke up the neighborhood with a few thumbs up and it was worth the wait.  Kerry will be back so we will let him have extra time at the wheel for the wait.  Some people left and we finished cleaning up.

Then Jeff's says... any reason why we cant have a few more turns?  So I got the gas can back out and Don replaced the battery and we were off again terrorizing the neighborhood.  But after a few turns around the block, age once again took over as the oil line broke.  In a great cloud of smoke our day ended!  The engine will  rust no more as it is covered in oil.  But it back in its parking place on the side of the station until we get the line replaced.

It is time for stage two.  Take it away from the station!  The neighbors want something new as they have looked at the old lime long enough.  But to me life has just started again for the old girl.  She want make it to Anniston this time but at one point we will be there for everyone to enjoy.

Thank you again to Don, Robert, Kerry, Mark and all the guys that just dropped by to help.  This meant a lot to get it running.

I called my mother, 84 years young (still drives a Chrysler - Sebring Convertible) and she was just overjoyed to hear of our success.  Thanks for making her day.