The Imperial Conundrum

All

The recent thread concerning Imperial history has been absolutely great reading for me!

I'd like to take it a step further into the (highly) speculative future!

We can probably all agree that we'd like Daimler-Chrysler bring our beloved Marque back, and bring it back right! The question I'd like to pose to the group is: What kind of Imperial? What powertrain, styling, size, chassis, interior, performance, features and personality should the Imperial of the future have. Which off the shelf D-C pieces should it use? How much innovation should it incorporate?

Okay, here's my (very biased) wish list:

1. Sparrow Strainers. Nothing says "IMPERIAL" like those great taillights that first showed up on the '55 (my favorite Imp)! Use the bright new breed of LED's.

2. Split Grille, like the '55 or even the '64. More branding, lots of Chrome!

3. Hemi engine: the new Mopar 345cid is a natural.

4. Torsion bar suspension. The reason our Imps don't (or shouldn't) wallow! While we're at it, put 'em on the rear too: a la Packard! Or maybe the Benz Airmatic DC.

5. Coupe first! This worked for Lincoln and the Eldo's of the 50's cemented the Caddy into the American consciousness. Borrow the Benz CLK floorpan (!?)

6. The "Buck Rogers" Exner dashboard. Light it with LEDs. Your life should be so 3-dimensional!

7. Maybe an understated flight sweep trunk. Optional?

8. Killer sound system by Klipsch.

9. Cooling system by Evans (haven't tried it yet)

10. Oil by Synlube (want to try this on my newly redone 413).

Enough of my pipe dream! Can't wait to read what the rest of you would like to build

After this concept gets tossed about the list and we've collectively come up with our dream Imp, we've got to face a tough reality. The great Imperial conundrum: If D-C built our Imp, could they sell it, or would history repeat itself because it's OUR Imp?

Cheers from Steve, the lone Imperialist in Korea.

P.S. Illness in my family might force a trip to California this summer, maybe I'll be lucky enough to run into some of you guys while I'm there.

Do You Yahoo!?