dual exhausts in '81-'83

Has anyone out there converted their early '80s Imperial (or Cordoba-like
mine-, Fifth Avenue, etc.) to dual exhausts?  While on vacation, I'm having
some exhaust work done to my Cordoba and have just learned that the Y-pipe and
forward catalytic convertors are shot.  None are available anymore, and my
mechanic has suggested converting to dual exhausts with a catalytic convertor
on each, and then two mufflers, obviously.  Is this feasible on these cars?  I
also suggested fashioning a new y-pipe and omitting the front catalytic
convertors.

My concern is what unintended consequences might develop by having two
tailpipes.  I don't think there are the cavities in the floor pan for two rear
catalytic convertors and mufflers, nor room for an additional tailpipe on the
drivers side.  How about routing two on the passenger side?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible.  Thanks so
much for y'all's guidance.

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown
1972 Buick Riviera