Fender Mounted Turn Signal

Dick,

I'm using the term "taillight" in the more general sense of a light at the tail
(rear) of the car.  Not to split filaments!

I can't explain it, but I invite you to try it yourself: remove the bulb or put
a bulb with a bad filament in one of the taillights and see if the turn signal
will flash.  Unless my 2 Imperials are unlike every other Imperial made, or my
memory is really bad, the turn signal indicator on that side won't operate--
i.e., flash.

Is it possible this was an intentional design feature?  That they put a more
sensitive flasher there, in order to alert the driver that one of his lights
was out?

Mark