Fender Mounted Turn Signal

Well, this weird, but on both my '68 and '71, on 2 occasions when the turn
signal on the fender didn't operate I found that a bulb in the taillight was
out, and when I replaced it, the turn signal started working.

Is there an alternate explanation for this?  (Besides me being insane?)

I also assumed (wrongly, I guess) that removing the turn signal housing on the
'68 would be the same as on the '71.  On the '71 you can unscrew two nuts
underneath the signal and pull the housing off.  I guess there is more in the
way on a '68.  Sorry for the bad advice.

MM