Imperial Options Ahead of Their Time

This maybe a little off topic, but...

Before I got my last car, I was looking around for an
"interesting project". My quest brought me out into
the middle of no-where, where a farmer had 3 1954
Cadillacs. He was said to want $1,800 for the whole
lot, and I decided to drive a whole day just to see if
it was worth it.

The cars looked to be all original, though suffered
from many years of being left in a barn in a hay
stack. All of the chrome needed to be replaced- as
well as the doors, fenders, roof, and interoir. Rest
looked alright.

They all three had power doors, power windows, power
antenna, powerbrakes, power mirrors, a wierd little
thing on the dash which turned on & off the headlights
based on the light level, and electric power trunk.

I was unable to power up any of these options, and
therefore didn't know how much of these options still
worked, and also lacked any keys with which I could
use to get into the trunk.

My guess, going by how the owner described things, was
that pressing the trunk release button would complete
a curcuit which would cause a motor inside the trunk
to turn part of the lock thus allowing either a spring
inside the trunk to lift the lid, or allowing someone
to get out and open the trunk manually- which, I don't
know.

Now, my grandfather had a Nash which used a magnet to
open the trunk lid with the power trunk option. Forget
how it worked (or if it were a stock option).