Young Imperial Owners

In a message dated 7/20/2002 1:31:49 AM Central Daylight Time, tomswift@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I am always surprised when I hear about someone in their 20's owning an
Imperial.

It seems to me that most of the collectors I've met tend to buy cars
that were popular in their youth, particularly in their teenage years.
For instance, it seems you find that most of the folks who own cars from
the 50's are in their 60's now, etc.

The reason is pretty obvious-- they associate these cars with good times
they had, particularly when they were getting their first taste of
freedom.

I'm curious what draws a younger person to an older car, and in
particular to an Imperial?

Mark M

Mark,
I have several acquaintances that wonder what the attraction is for ANY automobile, ... never mind a particular marque. I don't understand what attracts them to boating, as an example!

The Imperial thing is simple for me.
These are magnificent automobiles that exhibit some of the finest design and engineering (automotive) the world has ever experienced. Compare some of this #*%(&@%& that comes from the far east with the products made available by Chrysler Corporation in the 40's, 50's, and 60's ... nuff said!!

I admit to being prejudiced in favor of the Chrysler offerings, but that doesn't keep me from being amazed at the Pierce Arrows, for example, of the 20's and 30's or maybe the Packards and Studebakers.

Allow me to give one example of the engineering 'thing':
One of my current collection is a 1963 Plymouth which I have restored to a fare-thee-well. It amazes me the head turning that takes place while I have it out on the street, ... Folks are amazed that this is typical of what Chrysler was producing at the time. Anyway, because of the torsion bar design, this car rides as well on the boulevard as my daily driver Cadillac of current vintage.
Now any can laugh at that statement, but it remains fact.
It does not handle as well in tight maneuvering situations, but riding on Interstates is far more sure footed and comfortable a ride in my SportFury.
Remember, I'm speaking of one of the 'working man's' cars of the day. This was one of the least expensive offerings available in it's day!

Imperials are just these uniquely beautiful, marvelously engineered, examples of American history. A 'car buff' cannot be one, without recognizing how fantastic Imperials are, and have been!
I'm not 'in my 20's', but I have appreciated and felt this special affinity to most all of Chrysler's offerings since BEFORE I was twenty.

Hope you all have a great weekend !
Ron ...