Auto Temp II Servo Module lowdown

--- Dboat2xs@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello -
>
> Would anyone know where new (or reconditioned) servo
> modules can be
> purchased?  The unit on my '72 is dead.  Are there any
> later electronic
> options that could be retrofitted at a reasonable cost?

The Auto Temp II unit suffers from a defective structural
material design, and most of the units that I have seen
have cracks in the plastic body, normally in the lower
half.  I tried buying a used one from a vendor for $100
with vacuum lines and such (mine were damaged).  It came
cracked, and the vendor disbelieved it, as it had come from
a "working car" and he honestly thought that the unit was
fine.  It was cracked in the same place.

All of these things seem to have a problem if they're used,
in that they either leak out the bottom through cracks,
causing the owner to bypass the ATCII and loop the heater
hose back to ther block, or the leak goes up into the
electronic brains and actuator gears, rusting it beyond
service.

This unit also appeared on Mercedes Benz of the time (an
alternate junk-yard source?  The MBZ club might know more
on this, too.).

I once saw a web page that advertised a machined
aluminum-chassis unit, new manufacture (or at least new in
box aftermarket).  They wanted $500 or something
disproportional to the benefit to me here in usually warm
California.

Look at Kerry's 1973 saga pages (in the '73 OIC page) for a
description of how he replaced his ATCII with a manual
slider switch from another Chryco product.  That's the
ticket if you have more time than money.

Sources are tough to find.  Caveat emptor.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious