One more note, Was: Rough running 413

>My 2cents on the 440/413 thing, I've got both and both
>are FINE engines.  However, the 413 is MY favorite,
>kind of like why most Che*Y people will admit that the
>327 was the 'best' smallblock.

Kerryp, guess why the 327 is liked by the Ch*vy people?  It has the
smallest stroke to bore ratio, so it revs better.  The later 400s have
longer stroke (more displacement, more torque) but they lost revving
potential and the desirable flat torque curve.  Again, the 440 is a bored
413, not stroked.  I accept however that there may be a certain light load
smoothness or response or something advantage of the 413.  Nobody has
defined it well so far, but there are quite a few that claim it, so there
may be some truth to it...

>The 440's have more power but seem a
>little closer to the 'edge' unless it's in perfect
>tune, ie they might stumble a little off idle or bog
>when flogged.

Well, I agree 440s can be somewhat temperamental at times.  They are may be
like women, you need to know how to treat them right.  But once the initial
stumble or bog is overcome, all you have to do is hold your foot down (and
optional: avoid slow moving traffic).
D^2