Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 8:27 PM
Subject: IML: Back from Carlisle/Vendor Rant

Back from Carlisle/Vendor Rant

Well, I just got in the door from Carlisle, it's 9:15 PM.  Really nice to see some of the old faces and meet the new ones.  Terrific turn out on Saturday>we even had a "parking problem".  May we always have such good problems.

I brought out my '64 coupe, which brings us to the "rant" dept.  The car is a 38k mile original car except for a fresh coat of its original color, radials, brake hardware, and the bumpers which I had "new rechromed" done by the Bumper Boyz of California.  This work was completed in Dec '99.  The chrome has (had) a warranty of 2 years.

This spring, I noticed some pitting on the "propeller" portion of the rear and a loss of luster on the front end caps.  I cleaned them up and as time had gone on, the rear is getting downright nasty looking.  Bear in mind that this car isn't a daily driver and sits in a heated garage most of the time.

This morning, at the behest of some of our fellow IML'ers, I went to the BB display, and asked the fellows there what, if anything could be done to either fix the mess or prorate me some of the rather large cost that I was hit with to do this job (they took my originals as cores>the only thing wrong with them was that they had lost their luster there was no rust or dents and the unit they got as a core looked better than what's on the car).

THE REPLY:  You are over two years, and the only thing we'll do is get you another bumper done AT FULL RETAIL.  (Thanx a lot!!!)
Needless to say, I was suitably unimpressed with this attitude and response, and it was suggested at the tent that perhaps we should post this as a "warning" to others.  I has made the presumption that as a major nationally advertised group that the quality, price and SERVICE would be superior to a local shop.  Regrettably, that isn't the case.   SO........CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!

Botton line>shop elsewhere for you chrome needs.

Jim Rado