82 Imperial, A few quick questions, please help!!!!

82 Imperial, A few quick questions, please help!!!!

Ivica -

On the top of the Air Pump is a vacuum operated Valve called the Divertor
Valve. It is intended to allow the pumped air to flow to the ports at the
rear surface of the engine heads to add oxygen to the exhaust flow while the
engine is cold. When the water temp rises, the Computer signals the Vacuum
operated solenoid to do several things; one is to divert the oxygen flow
from the Divertor Valve into the exhaust system rather than from the engine
heads - this flows to the rear cataylic convertor to add oxygen to the
exhaust at that point. The valve in the line from the pump to the exhaust
system is a check vvalve or also called a one-way valve; the air can only
flow one way. If it does not, and yours does not, the hot exhaust gasses go
backwards and destroy the valve. It must be replaced, but your exhaust
system also needs attention. It would seem that your cat convertor is
plugged to some degree that allows the gas to flow backwards. Some other
items the happen when the engine warms-up is the vaccuum cannister, behind
the right front headlight, which stores gasoline vapors, is allowed to
purge, also by another vacuum line from the solenoid, this is done at this
time rather than earlier so as not to disturb the mixture ratio of gas and
air during warm-up.  Your problems are somewhat confusing in that both of
the two valves on you car have melted. The vaccuum solenoid on the bulkhead
on the passenger side may not be functioning properly. The air pressure from
the pump must be sufficient to overcome any backpressure from either the
engine ports or the exhaust sys connection on the cat convertor. Since this
is not happening, I'd check the pump output first. This pump, as far as I
know, is not reparable, almost any GM pump for a V-8 engine ought to fit -
save all of your Chrysler mounting pieces. If you live in an area where the
exhaust sytem output is not "inspected" or required, I'd remove all of this
equipment since the car will run quite well without it. You can obtain the
two head port blocking covers from the Canadian cars or Chrysler itself. If
you need a part number, let me know. Then all that you'll need is a threaded
plug to screw into the side of the cat convertor. Hope this helps.
Bob Harris - '81 EFI