Off line response, was: 413 vs 440!

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:12:12 -0500 "D. Dardalis" <dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> At 10:12 PM 7/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:

> Dick, very often people claim that a longer stroke will give you
> more off
> line torque.  I am not sure if this is directly true.  A longer
> stroke
> engine will usually have smaller intake ports and valves than a
> short
> stroke engine of similar displacement, and that might give you good
> low end
> response, but its not the longer stroke that provides directly this

If you have had much experience driving a real long stroke engine, such
as the flat head straight eight, you may feel a little different about
stroke and torque.  My '38 would accelerate from dead stop to 110, all in
high gear, and leave almost anything around at the time (1958) in its
dust.  I hardly ever used the first two gears.

4 - Toes