413 vs 440!

Please see inserted responses...

At 08:07 AM 7/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>All 3 had an off-the-line snap that none of my 68's or my 69 showed.

That could be due to the smaller intake ports.  However, it may be tough to
compensate for the 6% lower displacement.  Another possibility could be due
to smaller primary chokes of the 413 carburetor (if indeed they were
smaller).  However Dick, your claim of better off line launch is not
supported by the literature.  Look at the 64 road test (in the '64 year by
year.  0-30 was at least a second slower from the 67's 3.4 seconds (can't
access the site right now).

>My two 67's do seem to have better throttle response, so perhaps you are
>right about the earlier 440s.
>
>In my case, my 67s have 915 heads, which is the vaunted closed chamber head
>the muscle car guys are always carrying on about, so perhaps that is where
>the difference lies.  The 68s have 906 heads.
>
>By the way, in case anyone cares, the exhaust valves in the 915 heads are
>1.6", not 1.74" as given by the gurus on the MOPAR web sites.

Actually, I believe the 67 440s had the larger intake ports like later
engines.  So, I was referring to the 66 model year 440s only, that could
have the same off line response characteristics to 413's (if the carbs were
the same)..  The fact that the intake ports were redesigned for the 67
model year  seems to be supported by contemporary literature. See:
http://imperialclub.com/yearbyyear/1967/CarLife/page4.JPG
where they discuss the larger intake ports on the figure caption.  In
another 67 model year article of car life, they are also talking about 1.74
exhaust valves for the 67 model year.  This was for the HP engine, but I
think they used the same heads on all 440s.   To the best of my knowledge,
the differences between 67 and 68 heads were very minor, and only related
to emissions.  Performance-wise, the two heads were similar.  Am I wrong?

D^2