68, bad idle

> Mike, are you sure the heat insulation is in good
> shape under the intake
> manifold?  Most of these have been ruined by fluid
> leaks and/or rodents over

Actually, over Christmas I made it a project to remove
the intake manifold and associated hardward, steel
wool it all, paint it factory blue, and replace all
the gaskets and such.  I also rebuilt the Holley 4160.
 At that time I did notice the aluminum-encased
insulation under the manifold (along with various
remnants of rodent cohabitation).  Following my usual
practice of "if I don't know what its for, I put it
back as I found it" the insulation is still there.  It
wasn't very thick, however.

I have some rubber material approximately 5/16" inch
thick, that I am going to make a "carburator gasket"
out of, and see if that helps.  Much easier than
removing that intake manifold to stuff more insulation
under it!

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Piles of pitted chrome