Paint job

Good One.

Andy Angove wrote:

> "I didn't know you wanted a good paint job."
>
> Deserves this response:
>
> "I didn't know you wanted me to pay you for a lousy paint job."

I have been called "picky" many times for complaining about poor work, or low
standards.  I don't know what it is, but some people seem to feel that putting
out substandard work is the norm nowadays, so why should anybody expect
anything different?

The sad thing is, for this particular painter, a "good" job may in fact be
something out of the ordinary.  I seem to run into his brothers everywhere--
and they all think I'M the one with the problem.  Somehow they stay in
business, so I guess there must be a lot of folks out there who either don't
care about drips, runs, orange peel, etc.-- or they don't have the "eye" that
we do.

On the other hand . . . I hate to sound like I might be defending this guy,
but factory paint jobs were not perfect.  The factory did make mistakes.
Sometimes you can find "orange peel" in a factory job.  Manytimes these
mistakes could be corrected at the dealership before the customer bought the
car, or after they bought it and brought it back.

There is a small run on the inside cover of the passenger side A pillar in my
'68.  I'm guessing it was put there by the factory, since the car appears to
be %90 original and the paintjob on the cover looks the way I remember them
looking when new.  Stuff happens.

On the other hand . . . you and your painter should have discussed this whole
subject more carefully beforehand.  I'm not blaming you, only saying that if
you had discussed it a bit more you might have discovered where this guy was
coming from & avoided the current situation . . .

I'm having my '71 repainted by Tom Nichols in Birmingham.  He asked me a lot
of questions before we started, trying to gauge exactly what I wanted in my
paintjob.  I learned a lot just from the questions he asked.  And he presented
me with options.  "If you want this look, we can do so-and-so . . . ."  And so
on.  So I feel fairly confident I will not be disappointed or too surprised by
what he does.

Good luck.  Don't feel you must accept this guy's half-a**ed job just because
it's done.  Let us know what happens.

Mark