bars

> Hi all.
> I need to ask a question about the torsion bars.
> On my 68 Imperial the right one is straight and the left one has a bow in
> it.
> Should I take it out and put in a another one.
> Thank you for any help on this.
> Bob

Now that is truly an odd situation. T-bars can break (unwind), but I've never
heard of one bending.

The only explaination I can come up with, is that someone jacked-up the front
end of the car using the torsion bar????

I guess I would also have to ask; how far is it bent, and in which direction????

No matter what the answer to these questions is, you certainly SHOULD replace
the left T-bar. If it's bent enought for you to notice it by eye, it's just
waiting to break.

A torsion bar is basically a spring that has been pulled straight, and when
they snap, it's in a "spiral" pattern. While I've never personally had one snap
(it's not that common, but supposedly quite memorable) the metallurgy is said
to be rather delicate; in other words:

Do not hammer them
Do not heat them
Do not use "vice-grips" on them
Do not taunt Happy-Fun Ball (R) [SNL reference]

If the left T-bar breaks, the car will basically collaspse onto the suspension
stops. At the least you'll end up stranded.

Make sure your replacement doesn't have any nicks or gouges... And you must
replace a left torsion bar with a left torsion bar.

Carmine F.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8