62 paint chipping

Hey List,

been a long while since I last chimed in.  My name is Raffi
I have a 62 crown Coupe in silver lilac, and it just
spent its first year outside in san Francisco, as I don't
own a garage in which the car will fit.  When I first got
the car going, I cleaned the dull and stained paint with
rubbing compound and got decent results: the shine and texture
came back.  The car has the
original paint job.  Anyway, their were a few thin sections,
especially on the deck lid, where after the car has spent a
year outside, the paint on that section, which always had
hairline cracks, has now started to ripple and chip off,
exposing the metal underneath.  I don't yet have the money
to do a proper paint job on the car, but I want to keep the paint
from deteriorating any further and rusting, which has probably
already started to rust a little.  I will probably need to
sand and prime those sections which have chipped, but I have
never done that before and am wondering if its easy or what,
and if their are any tricks I should know.  If anybody has
some advice, please pass that knowledge along.

Thanks,

Raffi In San Francisco
62 Crown Coupe, 64K miles