Electrical questions, '67 Imperial

Dick Benjamin (DickB@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> The 4 -ways use a separate fuse and flasher, most likely someone has robbed
> the flasher out of the 4 -ways to repair the normal turn signal flashers.
> The 4-way flasher is near the glove box, on the right hand kick panel side -
> it is very hard to find, as the 4-ways were a last minute addition thanks to
> the feds (thus the funky switch in the glove box.)  If you are very small in
> stature, and good at working upside down in the dark, you can probably find
> it by following the wires from the switch.  Check the fuse first though,
> it's a lot easier to find!

To add to Dick's always-excellent advice, here's a friendly tip: You do not
need to remove the old flasher relay from its crevice at the far right
underside of the dash... (unless you plan to enter the Pebble Beach Concours
someday). You can just leave it there, pull the connector off, and reconnect
the wiring to a new relay that you place somewhere nearby. There are plenty
of hiding places behind the glovebox where you can nest the new flasher.

I did this as a temporary fix on a trip years ago when the relay decided two
blinks per half-hour were enough, and it works so well I never bothered to
pull out the disconnected old relay.

Chris in LA
67 Crown