Carbon tracks when detailing

[I've found that when I clean an engine at the car
wash, I take off the distributor cap, stuff a small
clean lint-free cloth inside and replace with one clip
holding it.  After I'm finished, I remove the cap and
cloth and let the top air dry for a few minutes before
I start the car.  I never had carbon tracks inside but
I could have just been lucky.]

Bob