64 stuck trany button

I had the same problem in my '59, and it's kind of a puzzle to figure out, but
I took all the silicone off the ends of my buttons, and you just have to get a
flashlight and look in the dash where the buttons connect. There are connectors
in the dash which have two metal tabs sticking out. The button has two slots,
one on each side.  These slots should slide securely into the tabs, and hold
without silicone. I think the reason people have siliconed them is when you
take the bezel off, and are not careful when doing it, you stand a chance of
pulling several buttons off the connectors. While you're in there spay the
metal connectors with a good lubricant. I now have mine working like brand new!
Bill '59 Crown