Please Welcome a New member Paul Forgey '66 vert

Please Welcome a New member Paul Forgey '66 vert

New Subscriber(s): Paul Forgey
Email Address is: lovecats@xxxxxxxx
Member Location: South Georgia

Car(s) owned: 1966 ruby convertible

Self-Introduction: Hi, I just bought this car from a good friend of mine who
spent quite a bit of money restoring it, but it still needs a bunch of work.
I know nothing about cars, but my profession is the restoration of old
buildings, so maybe that will give me a head start. I am a very good
carpenter, but I have never been able to have the paitence to work on cars.
I had a '67 DeVille convertible in high school (in the early 80's) which I
took the engine apart, but could not put it back together.
My friend bought the car from the estate of the previous owner, after it sat
outside with no top for more than a year.  It had lots of rust, but the
floor has since been replaced and the remainder of the body work is about
half done.  Now, it has a new interior, a new top and many assorted new
mechanical parts.  It runs, but not too well.  I have not really been able
to drive it since it has all the chrome off, and is not "street legal"
without the brake lights. There is also some problem with the electircal
system which drains the battery.  As well, it needs the body work finished
and paint.  It will never be a show car, but that is not what I want out of
it anyway.
I have a mechanic that I trust, although his speciality it Japanese cars,
who has agreed to work on it on the side.  My plan is to get him to fix the
electrical system and any other major mechanical problems.  Then I will take
it to a body shop and get that work finished and painted.  After that, I
will do the numerous odds and ends myself.  If anyone has any sage advise, I
am all ears.