69 Imperial Sedan

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:33:05 +0000 tntlucat@xxxxxxx writes:
> Hi Roger,
> I'm a little confused, what is the difference between a
> sedan and a hardtop? I thought a sedan was a 4 door, and
> a hardtop was just a painted roof, not vinyl or
> convertible have a 4door with a vinyl roof.

Not too long ago there was a discussion about this on the list.

In short, "Hardtop" is a diminutive for "Hard Topped Convertible."  It
was a styling
development started in the early 1950's.  It was a sedan, 2-door or
4-door,
without a frame around the top of the door window area, so that with the
windows down
the lines were similar to a convertible.  In a 4-door there is only the
lower half of a post
between the front and rear doors.  It had nothing to do with what the
steel top may,
or may not, have been covered with.  Some were painted, some were vinyl
covered and
some had cloth coverings to really look like a convertible.

In other words, a "Hardtop" has no "B" piller in a 2-D and only the lower
half of one on
a 4-D.

Remembering when it was the "New Thing".   4 - Toes