the Road to Labrador

No, it's not a movie with Bing and Bob.

I am going to drive into Canada's version of Siberia with my 76 NYB.

I'll drive to Goose Bay, Labrador, from Toronto, starting at the end of
June, when I have 2 weeks holidays.

Newfoundland and Labrador are the last province to join Canada, in 1949.
 They are composed of the island of Newfoundland and the adjacent mainland
portion, which is called Labrador.  The border between Labrador and Quebec
was in dispute and wound up in the Supreme Court of Canada.  The SCC
decreed that the watershed boundary would thenceforth be the provincial
boundary.  That is to say that, the area where all rainfall drains into the
Atlantic is Labrador, and the area where all rainfall drains into the St.
Lawrence River or Hudson Bay is Quebec.

So, I just got my 76 NYB out of the shop yesterday.  I had some minor
problems corrected along with installation of a new steering box.  You'll
recall some discussion previously about the power steering crapping out at
low speeds and at stop during parking steering.  They say my AC hoses are
all leaking, so I need new hoses all around for my AC to work.  They don't
have them in stock.  They may be able to fabricate them.

Getting back to Labrador:  I'll drive along the north shore of the St.
Lawrence River to Baie Comeau.  Hwy 138 runs from there straight north into
the interior of Quebec.  After a while, it swings east and runs into
Labrador.  It is about 400 miles, half of which is paved.

In Labrador, it runs about 250 miles to Happy Valley/Goose Bay, all of
which is unpaved.

There is a large mountain range to cross, and of course the crossing high
point is the watershed/provincial border.  The descent is steeper on the
Atlantic side of the mountains, and there is a huge hydro-electric dam
halfway to Goose Bay.  It is at a location called Churchill Falls.

(Quebec province made a 50 year deal with Newfoundland to buy electric
power, and they really screwed Newfoundland.  Newfoundland is trying to get
out of the deal, and of course Quebec is trying very hard to preserve the
deal.  Quebec buys as much power as it can, then turns around and sells
much of it for 10 X the buying price, to the American eastern seaboard.)

I don't expect to see 5 star hotels in Goose Bay.  It is situated at the
west end of a large inlet from the Atlantic.  As of 2 days ago, it is still
clogged with ice 10 inches thick.  The lady in Goose Bay, who responds to
requests about road conditions, assures me that by July, it will be clear.

Hmmmmm, "it will be clear".  I also asked her the name of the inlet, where
she lives, and she didn't know.  That's like me, living on the shore of
Lake Ontario, and not knowing the name of the lake.

Anyway, once the ferry can get through, it runs down the inlet to the
Atlantic, south in the Atlantic to Newfoundland island (south-east end).
 The ferry ride from Goose Bay to Newfoundland is 2 days.  It runs every 4
days, weather permitting.

There is an original Viking settlement on the north tip of the island,
which my girlfriend wants to see.   Another ferry ride is from
Newfoundland, south to Nova Scotia, which is a peninsula on the mainland,
near Maine.  That is about 16 hours.  From there, we'll drive west to Lake
Ontario again, maybe through Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York.

So, that is my intended trip.  I'll be taking pictures of the Eskimos with
my NYB.

I also need hoses for my AC, when I get back.  I don't figure I'll need AC
on this trip.  Anybody got some good ideas about what kind of hoses to use
for my AC.  I don't mind paying more for good quality hoses which will
preclude trouble in the future.

Alan Harper
Hi all that are going to Carlisle,

I won't be able to make it, but I am going to drive into Canada's version