clicking noise on '68

The chirping hubcaps were a very rare option on the 1968
model year only.....

No.  Just kidding.

Try putting a piece of electrical or duct tape on the
splines where you think it's rubbing.  It is possible that
the cap was dropped, and the tines are not flared out
enough to grip the steel of the wheel and are slipping
slightly due to inadequate sprung tension.  A crescent
wrench should facilitate bendign them outwards for tighter
fit.

Also: inspect the wheel to see of it shows scatchy wear
(bare metal) in one place.  This may give a clue relative
to the valve cap as to where your "special option" wheel
covers are currently engineered to generate sound.

-Kenyon