stainless vs other steels

I side with Dick Benjamin on this issue. Reason being is this:  We use a
large variety of material in the aircraft industry and the prime example I
can think of is control cables.  Without exception, stainless cables are
not...NOT...as strong as standard steel ones.  I dont know the SAE spec of
them offhand, but they are at my disposal at any time, we keep material
certification specs on ALL the materials we use.   The only time we use
stainless cables are for seaplane or floatplane use and even at that, the
life of the cable becomes somewhat irrelevant, as these things will be
removed and replaced before they ever get to the danger point of weakness.

As far as the brake line issue, it is no doubt true that the manufacturers
do add a rather large safety factor when they design these cars, Im sure
that with things like brake lines theres a huge margin of overkill with the
material strength.  On the specific subject of steel brake lines.....I have
always  and always will use standard issue steel lines.  No copper, no
stainless, no unobtanium, nothing else.

 On the subject of flexible hoses, an aftermarket stainless flex hose is
great, since the manufacturer is taking the liability risk and hopefully
they are SAE approved for automobile use.  Otherwise, I have  used many many
store bought lines as well as taken store bought lines and cut the ends,
reflare them and have had ZERO trouble with them.  A properly done double
flare and correct hardware will work every time.

Just my 3 cents, those of you who DO wish to use other stuff, well feel
free......just please stay IN FRONT of me in traffic please.

take care all

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe