BRAKE FAILURE was: Please back Welcome Tony Vickers -

BRAKE FAILURE was: Please back Welcome Tony Vickers -

StadtApoAchern@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Probably NO failure of the shop but of the driver. >>

Dietmar,

I agree with all the advice you gave about braking in a 40 year old museum
piece.     It was by using these methods that I and my wife are still alive
today. I know about overheated drum brakes, brake-fade and using lower gears
both to ascend and descend mountain roads.

This was not why my brakes failed. They failed because one of the the rear
brake pipes was not properly installed. The mechanic who fitted them had not
made a proper flare on the pipe before he before he connected it to the
junction block above the the rear axle. As a consequence the pipe literally
separated from the block and I lost all my fluid. The amazing thing is that
it lasted for 1500 miles before it failed. I put this down to my gentle use
of the brakes.He had also fitted the pipe in such a way as to allow it to rub
against a metal flange. If it had not separated when it did, it would soon
have burst as the copper wore away.

I have to accept some of the blame. I should have done this job myself
because the old steel pipes were beginning to show signs of pitting, but I
was busy and did not have the time. I gave the job to my usual repair shop
who have always been very thorough in the past. My mistake was to assume that
the job was well done and not to check the finished work before I left for
France. I would not have detected the problem with the flare, but I would
certainly have noticed the rubbing pipe and would have asked the shop to redo
the job.

Incidentally, I showed the damaged pipe to the shop owner when I returned and
he was severely shaken.  I am still considering what course of action to take.

Best wishes,

Tony