60 Imperial carb question

I have the original Carter 2927 carburator on my Imperial. I am finally getting everything back together. All chokes have been removed (not by me), and I want to drive it. As I understand it, you need a choke only where it is cold. I live in California, and want to drive the car NOW! The choke needs to be wired open for it to run, Right? I know I will have to give it a little gas on startup until it warms, but choke fully open is the way it has to be to set and Idle and run normally, right?
Please help
Marc Lamp