68- and 67! starting

Hi All,
   I guess I don't understand why 15-25 pumps of the gas would seem normal. Even before I had the Holley on ours rebuilt, it wouldn't take anymore than a couple or 3 pumps. I had it rebuilt because the car had sat for probably 15 years with the same gas in it and before I had the tank boiled out and carb rebuilt, I had to put a new filter in every other time I drove it. Now, with everything done up right, when it is cold, 1 kick and the choke closes, and without touching the gas pedal again it cracks off by the 2nd revolution. When warm, holding the pedal down about 1/4 and it starts just as fast. Is that 15-20 pumps as the car is turning over or before hitting the key?...oh wait, I guess the result would be about the same wouldn't it. Even after a few days, it starts the same so I would think if it doesn't, it would be losing its prime. Of course right now, as luck would have it, I'm working through an extremely bad tank of gas I got at Costco last week. 2 miles from the pump and all of a sudden I had all I could do to keep it running. I dumped in 2 bottles of HEET and put in a new fuel filter and that helped enough to keep in running(crappily) I just gassed up tonite and put in 2 more cans of HEET and it seems to be almost back to normal. I'll probably do another fuel filter just for good measure. During that bad tank of gas the wife got slightly less than 7 mpg where normally in her driving she gets 10-11(about 6 miles 1 way and maybe 40 mph for a couple).
   Something I have been living with since we got the car is a "flat spot" when I step it 1/4 to 1/3 of the way to the floor on take off or when just idling along slow and want to pick up speed. I had adjusted the carb where I turned in the 2 screws just to where I could hear it labor a little and then back them out 1/4 turn. Seems to run pretty good, except for that hesitation. I had put in a different set of spark plugs when I first started working on the car. I don't remember what they were called but they are kinda like the spitfires except the split in the plug is on the other side of the spark(whatever that's called). I had someone tell me that type of plug needs a high output ignition system like the accel high output coil and all that. Does that sound right? I'm wondering because another problem is that when I put my foot in it, the black smoke rolls out the back and I get quite a patch of soot on the ground under the tailpipes(dual exhaust) right after a cold start and I kick off the high idle. Also, If there is a vacuum leak involved in all this some where, where and how do I check it and what should it be. This is the original Holley carb, too.

Dave
67 green sedan