Thad not Chad/turn switch

Sorry Thad for addressing my post to Chad. While I'm back here, not wanting
to waste a post, I finally got that little screw out today, and was able to
see the turn signal switch attached to the steering column. The plastic
switch was not broken off, and I played around with it to see if the turn
signal would self cancel. I kept getting small shocks when the signal would
blink, so I held it with a towel. I cleaned up the unit and reinstalled it,
and it worked for a brief moment, even my left signal would stay on without
holding the lever over, and the right signal canceled when I turned the
steering wheel. This only happened once, then it reverted back to the way it
was. What am I supposed to do with this switch to make it function properly
all the time?
Bill '59 Crown