Imperialing to work

Seeing as I had to work Saturday, a horrible
proposition at best, and seeing as how it was a
beautiful sunny 75 degree day here in Washington,
D.C., I decided to nix the corporate bloodwagon and
motor to work in style, a la my '67 Imperial.

With all four windows down and the stereo belting out
classical 103.5 with remarkable fidelity, I took a
high speed blast down the parkway in the wee hours-
6:30Am, to be precise.  90 mph feels like 50 in this
car.  Its really quite something to mash the gas at 60
and take off from all of the other traffic- no noise,
no fuss, just this floating accelerating sensation
that I believe a deaf astronaut would feel taking off
from Cape Canavaral.

At work, EVERYONE wanted to see "the boat".  One
Inquiring but obviously lost soul asked me about "my
Pontiac".  Ummmm...no.  But, even the ignorant can be
apologetic, and I received several positive comments
about the car's condition, despite the very
beweathered paint and somewhat pitted chrome.  I'm
sure with a decent paint job and some of the good
chrome I've been amassing slowly from ebay, it would
be a real head turner.

On the road, I spotted several classics- an old ('69 I
think) 300 convertible, a Studebaker, and a late 60's
firebird.  It was an awesome day for a drive- it
almost made my 11 hour workday palatable.

For comparison, I took the Satellite out for a spin
last night.  It was like being in a different world.
The exhaust was throaty, the suspension was stiff and
steering was much more sensitive.  A joy to blast down
the highway or tackle some esses.  I can't honestly
say one car is better than the other...each definitely
has its endearing qualities.

Happy Motoring!

=====
--Mike Pittinaro