Car Haulers

We used Reliable when I worked in the Alternative Fuels group at Ford.  They were great about special, incomplete, or inoperable vehicles, and would haul just bodies if asked.  They have locations in Michigan, Arizona, and California, so they have trucks back and forth across the country all the time.  We never had any problems with all the vehicles we shipped while I was there (probably around 100?).  I have a friend who does alot with aluminum Cobras, and he also uses Reliable exclusively.  Never any damage.  They also got the nod to haul clay mock-ups from the Design Center.  Talk about no room for errors...

I went to Reliable in Canton (Detroit) twice to survey their operation and inspect equipment... very professional.  They had a large office with 6-8 people scheduling and monitoring shipments.  They are constantly upgrading trailers, many of which have climate control, which I was told would maintain the inside temperature of the trailer at +/- 2 degrees F.  A gentleman by the name of Bud Stewart, who used to own a trailer building company, designs and oversees the construction and renovation of all trailers.  Their tie-down system allows for tie-downs at increments of 6 inches, to allow clearance for exhaust, suspension, etc.  Tie-downs are approximately 32" apart.  The drivers take great care to ensure there is no damage to the vehicles they haul.  Their warehouse contained a number of classic vehicles awaiting pick-up or shipment, from your basic musclecars to high-dollar classics, and Big-Three show and concept cars.

Pricing for single vehicles between Detroit and LA or Sacramento ran in the $1000-$1400 range, if I remember correctly.  Probably not the cheapest, but there was a good deal of special handling involved with these vehicles.

The shipping decision for the $400,000+ 2004 Hydrogen Fuel Cell Ford Focus production vehicles was my responsibility, and I chose Reliable without hesitation.

Please contact me off-list if you need more information.  I'm sure I still have the business card for my contact there.

Steve Charette