Oils, again! was:: 56 oil cartridge question

At 05:01 PM 5/11/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I am going to change from 10-30 to 30 weight and just wanted your thoughts.

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  There is a wide range of
oils one can use, and his engine will be OK.  The difference between a
"good" oil and an "excellent" oil will only show many thousands of miles
down the road, so your decision what oil to use now will affect you only in
the distant long term.  If you plan to keep your car indefinitely, it makes
sense to invest in the "excellent" oil.  Having said that, the multi weight
oils are superior to the single weights in almost all respects (they
represent a huge step forward in engine lubrication technology).  Their
superiority is more significant in the winter, but even in the summer there
are advantages.  The next important step in lubrication technology are the
synthetic oils.  These oils are for example what allows many manufacturers
of modern cars to have engines that produce almost 100 hp/liter and still
be reliable.  If you plan to keep your car indefinitely, and especially if
you like to drive it hard every now and then, its worth the extra cost.
(why else would we want to drive a hemi or a 440 if you don't put your
pedal-to-the-metal every now and then).  I can live with the oil leaks if I
know the engine will most likely last longer.
D^2, 2 hard driven 68's with Mobil 1 15w50