Silicon based "Protectants"

thank you group for this discussion on silicon protectants on vinyl. although
the top currently on the cinnamon queen is toast, i will not use siolicon
based stuff on her new top when installed, thanks.
       This does raise a question though, i understand how silicon will dry
out vinyl, but what about using it on your paint? i tried just a small area
with a silicon based paint restorer and was very impressed with the results.
I have stopped using it until i get a concensus of the group. thanks for the
time and help
mark truman
66 crown