Laminated vs safety glass

Oneof514@xxxxxxx (Oneof514@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> Safety glass used in autos, is laminated, layers of plastic and glass.

But very, very few cars have ever had laminated rear windows. Typically
laminated glass (two panes of glass sandwiching a clear plastic film) is
used only in the windshield.

Delaminating is a term used to mean anything that separates from something
attached in the same plane, such as a glass window on a plastic surrounding
curtain. The best thing to do when a repairman uses terms one does not
understand, however, is to ask for more explanation...

Safety glass is a term that can also be used to describe single-layer glass
that is tempered in such a way that when it shatters, it does so into
relatively uniform pieces shaped so as not to form dangerous shards.

I have a lingering memory of an accident on a hilly dirt road in which my
mother was driving our old Falcon Squire wagon when I was about 2 or 3. The
road had been freshly "graded," which was the annual Road Dept ritual of
shaving down the crown that formed between the ruts of people's tire tracks
and depositing the resulting loose shale into the ruts for a result that
*appeared* like a level road surface. At the top of one large hill was a
mild curve, and when mom hit it a little too fast, the Falcon fishtailed,
spun out, and rolled over four times, landing upright at the bottom of the
hill. Mother being an early convert to seat belts, we all walked away with
little injury, miraculously. One of few memories of the accident was sitting
in the vinyl seat after the car landed and running my open palm over the
amusing little pieces of glass all over the seat. I did not cut my hand, a
tribute to the above-noted heat-tempering process.

Chris in LA