58 electrical stuff

>Has anyone got any experience removing and reinstalling the starter motor on
>their 57 / 58?  I must get mine rebuilt, and as I am using the car as a
>daily driver right now, I'd really like to be able to get this done in one
>day.  I suspect the starter is weak, but the solenoid is worse, and is all
>but gone, now.  It is on top of the starter but I don't think it is
>accessible without removing the whole unit.  There is a wonderful shop in
>town that will be able to rebuild the unit within just a few hours but they
>don't do the grunt work of getting the unit on and off.  Scoping under the
>car, the unit seems remarkably accessible - for a Hemi Imperial, that is.
>The coolant lines from the transmission wend their way very close to it but
>I hope that is not a big deal.  I would appreciate any advice.
>
>Hugh,

It's been a long time since I pulled a starter off a hemi Imperial, but it
is the same starter that Chrysler used until they went with the Nippondenso
starter. The automatics had 2 bolts, 3 speeds were 3 bolts, can't remember
what the 4 speed had, but believe it was the same 3 bolt and the 426 hemi
had it's own starter.
By the way, for a torquier starter, you can use the lightweight
Nippondenso. It just doesn't have that familiar sound that the original
has, but I do believe it will work. If not, someone will correct me, I am sure.
The bolts holding it to the bell housing and the wiring are it. Undo the
battery, undo the electrical wires, then the bolts. If memory serves, the
bolt on the top is a little hard to get to but not as ornery as some cars.
Danny